Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Well, that was fun...

Just returned from my first real guitar lesson. 

Holy crap. 

To enlighten you a bit...I'm no athlete, but I can play most sports at a reasonably competent level.  I can do choreography if instructed, I can read music and sing.  I can take a script and tear it apart pretty quickly and get to the meat of a character in relatively short order.  I trimmed my own house, can paint without masking...

Anyway - there aren't many things I do that I feel uncomfortable doing.  People generally view me as someone who is a capable person. 

Until tonight.  Ugh.  I've been playing the guitar for 24 years off and on.  I know BASIC chord structure, and can accompany myself while I sing. 
This is way cooler than I looked tonight.
Tonight I started to learn scales.  Two left thumbs isn't even close.  I'm not sure my pinky finger is attached to the rest of my left hand.  I tried to do things quickly....but wound up hitting strings I wasn't aiming at, going back and starting again, basically being a complete spaz. 

It didn't help that when my 42 year old frame walked in the door, the only other students at the music shop were brought by parents who were younger than ME. 

But you know what's great about it?  I didn't quit.  And I'm not going to.  And next week, I'll be better than I was today.  It was humiliating.  But, I see where it's leading.  I may never be David Gilmour.  In fact, I'm just going to go ahead and assert that I will NEVER be David Gilmour.  I will, however, be Randy who is slightly better at guitar. 

I can live with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment