Monday, October 18, 2010

Guitar Lessons

My name is Randy and I'm a bad guitar player. 

OK.  Well, I'm not horrible.  For really never having taken a lesson EVER, I guess I can hold my own. 


Rock Face.  As practiced by Barrett.
 That changes tomorrow night. 

Earlier this year, I bought myself a Squier Affinity Stratocaster.  I've played chords on acoustic guitar for years, mostly because I LOVE the sound of my own singing voice.  That's right, I'm not afraid to admit it.  I LOVE the way I sing.  I sit with my guitar and accompany myself on various ballads, a few rockers, a whole lot of Beatles and just about anything I can play.  I've used this as a weapon when wooing women.  I've used it as a fun device to play for kids.  I've played for a funeral, a wedding or two, and on stage in plays a couple of times. 

I'm just not very good at it. 

Tomorrow I embark on a middle aged task.  I'm going to learn to play guitar better than I do.  I'm going to learn to play some lead.  I'm going to be able to make rock face and actually have the chops to back it up.  It's time.  I'm not getting any younger.  It's something I've always wanted to do, so dammit, I'm doing it.  I was encouraged when the guy on the phone I was booking the lessons with said, "Oh, you can read music?  Well, you're way ahead of the game..."   We'll see how that actually translates to any sort of skill. 

Bah.  As I told the guy...if someone teaches me how to play the opening riffs of "Gimme Three Steps,"  well, I'm a winner in my book.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh! I look forward to hearing about how this goes. I thought I would have to learn guitar to play Maria, but just faked it...but dang if Bob's shiny guitar hasn't been sitting out since, uh, July, taunting me. Maybe it's time to learn, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm posting again to say the Maria comment was Gretchen K. Does your blog allow psoting with just a name? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you can.

    I'd have figured it out.

    ReplyDelete