Saturday, October 23, 2010

My favorite film

The other night, I'm flipping through the channels and I notice that one of the HD movie channels is having a long night featuring a couple of movies.  Specifically, The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.  For the record, I think The Godfather III is terrible when compared to its brothers, but is a fairly entertaining film on its own.  It's just too damned bad Al Pacino forgot how to act before they made it. 


Tessio agrees.  That last 15 minutes is brutal.

Which kind of brings me to my point.  The Godfather is my favorite film.  I know, it's cliche.  Fine.  I don't think my reasons for it are.  It's a bad ass movie, no doubt.   BUT, it contains some of the finest moments of acting I've ever seen on screen, along with what has to be among the most chilling final 15 minutes of a movie, ever. 

Let's go right to it.  I could go on forever like everyone else has about the opening scene, the exposition that happens in it, the sheer lavishness of the wedding framing the small scenes inside the Don's office.  We get to meet all the major players, get to see what they're all about, and get a glimpse of what is to come....and it takes 25 minutes.  THAT'S the beauty of the opening scene.  Whenever I show the film to someone for the first time, I pause the film after the fadeout on the Don dancing with Connie and ask "How long do you think that took?"  The answer is, inevitably, "Around 10 minutes."  Nope.  It was 25.  About a third of the average film.  And you haven't had a single moment of action yet.  It grips you, it draws you in, and makes you want to watch the rest. 

Next, we have the whole business with Tom Hagen and Woltz.  The horsehead bit.  Not much to comment on there.  Great cinematography, and a whole lot of overacting, but you don't really get it.  There's nothing menacing.  You've got a lawyer talking to a movie studio chief. 

Until Khartoum's head winds up in the silk sheets.  That's what gets me.  Hagen is so detached, so professional.  There's nothing threatening about him in any way, shape, or form.  He's Irish, bald, educated, and calm.  Not exactly street style, thug "mafioso."  Then a freaking horse's head winds up in a bed. 

The next scene opens with the Don in his office.  A bouquet of flowers arrives.  The Don asks what they're about.  Hagen says, "They're from Johnny, he's starring in that new picture."   Brando doesn't even manage more than a grunt of acknowledgement.  This is the first moment that nearly makes me wet myself.  I'm an actor.  I wish just ONCE, just ONCE, I could have a moment even 1/100th as cool as that.  AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN TO THE BEST BRANDO MOMENT YET.  Brando's take, the nonchalance, everything about it is just so perfect.  It's business as usual to the Don.  BUT IT WAS A FREAKING HORSE'S HEAD THAT GOT YOU THE FLOWERS!!!   I know Brando was "method."  I also know he didn't memorize his lines.  Who the hell thinks to have that subtle a reaction?  Genius. 

Shortly thereafter we are introduced to Sollozzo.  The Turk.  This is the best Brando moment.  There's a moment where the Don says to Sollozzo, (I'm paraphrasing, I'm sure) "I brought you here because I hear you're a man to be treated with respect."  As he delivers this line, he gently brushes some lint, or a crumb off of Sollozzo's knee.  Again.  WHO THE HELL THINKS OF THAT?!  It was both respect and "Fuck you very much" all at once.  That moment gets frozen every time I watch the film  I back it up, and I watch it again.  It's so brilliant that the word "brilliant" doesn't do it.  "Brandolliant?"  Maybe.  Look, I'm no Brando junkie.  He was a great actor.  I'm not out watching all his films, and adoring at his altar.  I just am blown away by what he did in this film. 

I'm getting long winded here.  The film continues with lots and lots of good stuff happening.  We see Michael join the organization, we see Sonny get killed, we see the Don get shot.  We see Michael run away to Sicily.  We see lots of great action.  We see the Don die.  We see the iconic murder of Paulie with the Statue of Liberty in the shot, the "Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes" line.  The introduction of the term "bada bing" by James Caan.  We see Michael ascend to the throne.  We see him threaten Fredo.  It's just great film making. 

Then we get to the last 15 minutes.  Michael stands Godfather to his sister Connie and her husband Carlo's baby.  This is the same couple who was married at the start of the film.  Michael stands in the church, knowing that what is going on while he is there is the mass slaughter of the Dons of the "Five Families" and the bullet through the eye of Moe Green.  Michael, the cool, calculating war hero who was not supposed to be part of the family business, wipes out every one of his enemies in one fell swoop.  While he renounces sin and Satan in a church.  The transformation of Michael is complete.  He became his father.  Only WAY worse. 

Now, what I haven't gotten to yet are the two coldest moments in the film.  Tessio.  The Don's loyal captain since he first strarted building his organization, has realized that the Corleone family is perhaps yesterday's news.  He throws in with the chief antagonist/rival, Barzini.  Michael knows this.  Tessio arranges for a meeting, on his grounds, where Michael will be killed.  Just as they're leaving for the meeting, Tessio, walking with Tom Hagen, is told Michael will meet him there.  Hagen then says "I can't go either."  Tessio is surrounded by men at this point.  He knows what is coming.  Everyone does.  He looks at Hagen and says, "Tell Michael it was only business.  I always liked him."  Then he asks, "Can you get me off the hook Tom, for old-time's sake?"  "Can't do it Sally."  is the reply.  COLD.  Cold.  Cold.  How Abe Vigoda and Robert Duvall ever got through it is beyond me.  Tessio is shoved into the car with his killers, and Hagen watches his life long friend drive away.  For the last time.  Cold. 

Finally, we see Michael watch with steely resolve as the FATHER OF THE CHILD HE HAS JUST STOOD GODFATHER TO is killed in the driveway. 

Chilling.  We have thrown in with this guy, Michael.  He's the hero.  He's just killed his sister's husband.  The day of his child's baptism.  You can keep your horror icons like Freddie, Jason and the lot.  No one scares the crap out of me more than Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in the first two Godfather movies. 

I ramble. 

I liked watching The Godfather the other night.  I hope you find time to watch it some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment