Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 In Review

This blog is mine.  I don't know how long it's going to be in existence, but I'm going to use it as a diary kinda thing.  I'm writing a "year in review" for myself.  Read it if you like.  This post is just for me.  So in 10 years, I can reflect. 

In 2010 I, or my family, managed to:

Stay sober another 365 days.

Watch my youngest son turn 1 year old.

Watch my oldest son go to school for the first time.

See 8 Major League baseball games in 6 different stadia (Wrigley, US Cellular, Miller Park, Camden Yards, Citizen's Bank and Nationals Park), with a total of 11 teams represented.


Your pilot and his crew.

Watch another team that had never won the World Series in my lifetime - win the World Series in my lifetime - before my Cubs did. 

Fly an airplane.  Yep.  Fly an airplane. 

Start my series of reviews of Chicago Steakhouses.

Start this blog.

Stay employed.

Spend 365 days without any major commitment to a theatre project.   It was long overdue.

Buy an electric guitar and start learning how to play some lead.

Reconnect (such as it is) with a bunch of friends from long ago through Facebook.

Sing "Who Can I Turn To?" solo in public. 

Watch my oldest son ride a bicycle for the first time.  Wish it interested him more, but he's gonna get it. 

Pay way too little to do some landscaping at my house, thanks to our company's accountant.

Add a niece to the stable of nieces and nephews we already had.  That's 4 nieces and 2 nephews now.
Awwwwwww.  Little Krista.

Buy a smoker.  In December.  Summer should feature many, many smoked meals.

See stitches put into one of my children for the first time.  Brady, you silly, silly boy.

Grow a goatee.  Again.  By request - that was a first. 

Eat dinner in the Signature Room at the Hancock. 

Eat crab cakes in Baltimore. 

Meet Boog Powell, Greg Luzinski, Gaylord Perry, Bill Buckner and Ernie Banks.  Also ran into Fergie Jenkins, whom I had met before. 

Tour the home in which Babe Ruth was born.

Visit Washington D.C. for the first time. 
While I was there, I kicked it over at Barack's place.

Kick Edgar Allan Poe('s grave).

See original, real life Muppets of Miss Piggy, Rowlf, Mahna Mahna, the Snowths, Bert, Ernie, a few others you don't know, a couple of Fraggles - and Kermit. 

Take my son to his first real grown-up theatre experience:  "Shrek:  The Musical."


Among the finest baseball foods I've had. 
Eat Ben's Chili Bowl's "Chili half smoke all the way."  Delicious. 

Watch Roy Halladay pitch (and get the win). 

Throw a pitch (a strike) from a Major League bullpen mound.  (Lots of baseball stuff here....it was a big baseball year)

Play catch in the Wrigley Field outfield with my two sons and my father. 

Celebrate 7 years of marriage to my beautiful wife Amy.

Eat cheesesteak at Pat's King of Steaks.  Again. 

Buy a minivan.  Yep.  SUV and a Minivan.  Middle class suburban?  Yep, that's me.

Get my name on a Major League Scoreboard.  I was on the Jumbotron at Soldier Field in 2001, so now, I think I'm good...for now. 

Aw, you shouldn't have.  But thank you Phillies!


Enjoy another fantastic Christmas.

See "The Wall" live.  Big highlight of the year.

Feel just how little padding the ivy provides at Wrigley Field.  (none, in case you were wondering)

See (for the first time) the following future Hall of Famers play baseball:  Halladay, Ichiro, Manny, Vizquel and Trevor Hoffman.

Also got to see (for the first time) Mauer and Ryan Howard, who could be potential HOF members if they continue on their current paths.

See Paul Konerko hit a triple.  In the same game:  Vizquel made an error and Manny went 0-3 with 3 strikeouts.  All of these are ridiculously unlikely events mathematically.  All of them occurring in one game is astronomical in terms of probability.  Here's the boxscore if you don't believe me.  I was there.  In other news, flying pigs were spotted all over Chicago. 

See "Avenue Q" again.

Realize how lucky I am 365 days a year.  I'm the luckiest boy alive.
Happy New Year!  Let's make 2011 even better than 2010!


 

1 comment:

  1. You met Bill Buckner?? I loved, adored, dreamt about Bill Buckner when we were kids. Wow.

    Okay, I feel pathetic that out of your very well thought out review of the year, this is what stands out to me. Bill Buckner. Oh, and the Muppets. That's cool, too.

    ReplyDelete