Monday, January 24, 2011

Ballpark Reviews: The wind up...


Damn.  That's a lot of stadia.  A lot of these don't exist anymore. 
See if you can get some of them.  (Bigger version here.)
Answer key at bottom.  (I got them all except 2)

The hardest part of starting something like I'm about to start is....starting.  The questions are all there:  What the hell do I think I am doing?  What will the focus be?  Am I comparing?  Am I educating?  Am I entertaining?  Hasn't this been done before, on myriad other blogs, and in a whole shitload of books, by other people?  Am I going to give ranking "stars" or something baseball related to these places, or am I just going to write an opinion and let it stand for the reader to decide how many "stars" I've given? 

Too many questions.  I'll answer them this way.  I'm going to write these however the hell I feel like writing them.  I'm going to try to be consistent in theme, features reviewed, etc.; but I make no guarantee that will be the case.  I'll try to be funny.  I will probably FAIL at being funny, but I'll probably make myself laugh

Some absolute truths: 

1.  The links I provide are part of the writing.  Sometimes they are a joke.  Sometimes they are a poignant illustration.  Sometimes they are information you can research on your own.  Whatever.  It's part of the story.  Please take the time to click on them.  

2.   The opinions expressed are mine, and mine alone.  I encourage ANYONE interested in the various Major League Stadia in this country (and Canada) to go and form your own opinion.  I hope to provide the reader with some information - and maybe I can get some feedback on things I've missed. 

3.   I think I'm going to switch my choice in language to "Stadiums."  I've grown tired of the (albeit correct) usage of the word "Stadia."   No one uses it, and it makes me sound like a pompous ass.  Which I am.  OK, check that, I reserve the right to switch back and forth as I see fit. 

4.   I'm going to review the following ballparks where I have watched games, but which no longer exist:  Yankee Stadium (the old one); Shea Stadium; Busch Stadium II (the one that closed after 2005 - there was an older Busch Stadium believe it or not) and (old) Comiskey Park.  The problem with reviewing these places is that these are memories taken from before this blog was even a glint in my eye, so I may not have information on some of the things that I'll be reviewing in other places.  Fortunately, I have a photographic memory, so what memories I do have should be sound. 



There is nothing about this design that says "baseball"
to me.   This totally sucks.  Sun Life Stadium in Miami.
 
5.   Eventually, given my continued interest in this, I will have my own personal reviews posted for every current Major League Stadium.  It may take 10 years, but I will finish this.  For me, if for no one else.   Hell, who knows, maybe there's a book deal for something like this

6.   I have not decided if I need to get down to Sun Life Stadium (see right) in Miami this year to watch the Marlins play.  I know they are getting a new place next year, and I really don't know if I need to see them play on a field that was absolutely not designed for baseball.  P'raps I'll take an opinion poll, because I cannot make up my mind on this.  I'm completely ambivalent, which is a very unusual place for me to be.  

7.   No talk of beer.  I don't drink, so I can't offer an opinion on beer prices, taste, flatness, etc.  Don't ask, because it ain't gonna be here.      

8.   I will talk about the (this link is a little gross) bathrooms.  Sorry.  When you gotta pee, you gotta know with what you're dealing.  That's gonna be necessary information.

9.   The names will be the current names.  I know no one in Cleveland wants to call it Progressive Field, but that's what it's called.  Wrigley Field is a corporate name.  Get over it. 

So there it is.  The ground rules are in place.

Before the week's out I will post my review of the place my favorite team playsWrigley Field.

Thanks for your interest.


However, this view of Sun Life Stadium doesn't totally suck.  Ambivalence defined.

And if you care about the photo at the top (and which ones don't exist {or don't exist for baseball}) these are the stadiums and their occupants:

First row l-r:  Great American Ballpark (Reds); Chase Field (Diamondbacks); Dodger Stadium (Dodgers); Minute Maid Park (Astros); AT&T Park (Giants); Sun Life Stadium (Marlins)

Second row l-r:  Citizens Bank Park (Phillies); Petco Park (Padres); Turner Field (Braves); Coors Field (Rockies); Wrigley Field (Cubs); PNC Park (Pirates)

Third row l-r:  RFK Stadium (Nationals - no longer in service - soccer only facility); Busch Stadium (Cardinals - no longer standing); Miller Park (Brewers); Shea Stadium (Mets - no longer standing); Safeco Field (Mariners); Rogers Centre (Blue Jays)

Fourth row l-r:  Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome (Twins - no longer in service - still used by Minn. Vikings); Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Orioles); Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (A's); Tropicana Field (Rays); U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox); Fenway Park (Red Sox)

Fifth row l-r:  Kauffman Stadium (Royals); Progressive Field (Indians); Angel Stadium of Anaheim (Angels); Comerica Park (Tigers); Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (Rangers); Yankee Stadium (Yankees - no longer standing)

No comments:

Post a Comment