Monday, January 24, 2011

A reflection on calling a man "womanly."

Full disclosure:  I use the term "pussy" when describing someone who is fearful.  It is a common usage of the word.  I don't (in my mind) translate that to mean "womanly" but there are many who do.  Perhaps that is the connotation, and I need to think about my use of the word.  (A little tip for those of you thinking of researching the word - typing "pussy" into Google reveals a lot of links that don't help with etymology.  Who'da thunk it?)

Maybe it's me, but they'll never be the
"weaker sex" in my mind.
I will never understand how calling a man a woman is an insult.  I'll use an example. 

One of the most vile moments I can recall from Chicago Sports Talk Radio is when Jonathan Hood described Mets' pitcher Shawn Estes as "wearing Kotex." 

I'll bore you with the details.  In the World Series of 2000, Roger Clemens of the Yankees threw a pitch.  Mike Piazza of the Mets hit the pitch, shattering his bat, the barrel of which flew all the way to Roger Clemens.  Roger Clemens, being of even temperament, and absolutely NOT on steroids, picked up the offending piece of bat that Piazza had OBVIOUSLY intended to break off towards him, and threw it at Mike Piazza as he ran towards first.  Clemens was dead wrong.  He had no business doing what he did, and the Mets owed him some payback. 

Since the offense took place in Yankee Stadium, and since Roger Clemens didn't have to bat in that game as a result of being in Yankee Stadium, and since Clemens didn't wind up pitching at Shea Stadium in that World Series, there was no opportunity for Major League payback - which translates to:  plunking Roger Clemens.
 
Just a bit outside.
Fast forward to June 15, 2002.  Roger Clemens is pitching at Shea Stadium in a regular season game for the first time since the incident.  He has to bat in the game.  EVERYONE who knows ANYTHING about baseball knows that Roger Clemens will be hit by the first pitch he sees in the batter's box.  Shawn Estes, the pitcher for the Mets, throws the pitch.  But he throws it wide of Clemens' ample ass, and misses him completely.  The home plate umpire issues the warning to both benches that the next pitch that is thrown at someone (intentional or not) will result in an ejection of the pitcher who threw it, negating Estes' chance to fix his mistake, and the game goes on without incident.  The opportunity was there, and it was missed. 

Jonathan Hood, a WSCR personality at the time, goes on a rant about Shawn Estes' pitch, and about Estes in general.  He calls him a wimp.  Then he uttered the phrase about "wearing Kotex." 

I don't know JHood.  I don't like his radio show, and never have.  That much I know. 

This much I also know.  Anyone who equivocates "wearing Kotex" with weakness is a pussy.  Pure and simple.  I know that if my insides decided to purge themselves once a month, I'd have found out how to stop it.  And quick.  Hysterectomy, gun in the mouth (I'm KIDDING), whatever.  I'm not a big fan of recurring pain.  I really dislike cramps, and I especially don't like headaches and feeling bloated.  And childbirth?  Please. 

JHood is probably like me.  Therefore, calling a man a woman as a taunt makes him a pussy.  Because he's scared to figure out a better insult. 

Any other man doing so - to me - is just exactly that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment