Friday, December 17, 2010

A series I'm considering....

I'm opinionated.  I'm also a devout carnivore.  There is nothing I like better to eat than a good piece of steak.  Period.   I've been fortunate enough to eat at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn.  To me, it is the gold standard.  In Chicago, I've become a VIP at Morton's (great story I'll share when I review them). 


Peter Luger's Porterhouse.
Um. 
I just...salivated...that's it.....salivated. 

So, I thought perhaps I'd do a series on the great Chicago Steakhouses. My wife likes the idea, because it forces us to get out and enjoy some fine dining.  The economy likes the idea, because it could prove to be a stimulus all to its own.  I like the idea because well....it's fucking steak.  I really don't need more than that. 
 
I've done some googling, and I have come up with 2 lists. 

This list is great.  It's local (with a couple exceptions), it's thorough.  It doesn't include Morton's, Gene & Georgetti, and the Chicago Chop House, however.  I'm sorry.  Those three belong there, if by reputation alone.  Other than that, the list excites me. 

This list is also very thorough.  Most of the restaurants listed on it are not local, however.  If I want to go to the Palm, I think I want to go in New York.  Ruth's Chris is supposedly excellent, and I'm going there one of these days, but it doesn't seem like there's any local flavor to it - from what I can gather, but the Palm in New York is a historic place.  I'm rambling. 

I think I'm going with my own list - but I think it may wind up being longer than 10 (because I think I REALLY want to go to Fogo de Chao) culled from the two.  Since Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak and Stone Crab is on my list...and since that is one of my "go to" restaurants in Chicago, sometime this weekend I'll post a review of that place. 

This should be a delicious topic.


VIP Membership has its privileges.  Morton's.


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to read your reviews! I am also a steak lover, and so is my dad, so this project should provide some meaty info (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself). Happy holidays, and happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete