Friday, December 10, 2010

I've been in a music mood the last couple o' days....

Tonight I was driving home and "Space Oddity" by David Bowie came on the radio.  Definitely high up there in my list of songs I like. 

As I was driving and singing along, I thought of Jonathan Coulton's song "Space Doggity" which was written as an homage to Bowie's piece.


The face and torso of a genius.

Then, I thought - I have a blog.  There are potentially readers of my blog who haven't heard of Jonathan Coulton.  I must change this.  

So.  I'm changing it.  Go research him.  His music is widely available on YouTube.  He also provides all chord charts, lyrics and background information for his songs on his website, or through his (unofficial) Wiki site.

The man is a brilliant songwriter who is (as far as I can tell) about as down to Earth a dude as a brilliant songwriter can be.  He's amazingly funny, wonderfully lyric, has a great voice, etc. etc.  He wrote great comedy songs like "Re: Your Brains" and "Code Monkey."  Yet, surprisingly, from the same mind came the heartbreaking "When You Go" and the song that sums up fatherhood better than I've ever heard it anywhere..."You Ruined Everything."

OK.  That last link was kinda cheap.  But what a great song. 

I first found JoCo at the movie theatre of all places.  He was the special guest for Rifftrax's live closed circuit broadcast of "Plan 9 From Outer Space."  He performed "Re: Your Brains" and a hilarious song "The Future Soon."  I loved it.  Went home, researched him a bit through Google.  Found out the guy just wants to make music and share it.  How novel. 

Anyway - go research him.  He's the shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment