Monday, October 3, 2016

Wrap up...

...well.  I did it.  I got through all 100 of the AFI Top 100 (10th Anniversary Edition).

Here is the chart.  Completed.  I've got a little bit to explain about it at the bottom.
There's a lot of information on this chart.  Some of it is incomplete, but some of it is pretty damned accurate.  

Because this quest was all about a list, I'm going to make some of my own.  I'm not going to use quotes around the titles.  I know I should.  I'm lazy and don't want to type that much.  Here they are, in no particular logical order:

7 "New to me" films I liked WAY more than I thought I would:

1.  Nashville (this film is probably now in my top 5 films of all time - and I'd never seen it before)
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
2.  High Noon
3.  All About Eve
4.  The Best Years of Our Lives
5.  Double Indemnity
6.  The Wild Bunch
7.  The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

5 "New to me" films I knew I'd love but finally made time to watch:
1.  The Gold Rush
2.  Modern Times
3.  Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
4.  In the Heat of the Night
5.  The French Connection

8 "Old to me" films I was surprised I liked so well upon this viewing:
1.  Do the Right Thing
"Do The Right Thing"
2.  Chinatown
3.  Rocky
4.  Network
5.  The Sixth Sense
6.  Platoon
7.  Apocalypse Now
8.  Dr. Strangelove Or:  How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

5 Films I don't think you've seen that I think you should:
1.  Nashville (with a bullet - this could be 1-5 on this list)
"Sunrise:  A Song of Two Humans"
2.  Sunrise:  A Song of Two Humans
3.  Sullivan's Travels
4.  The Last Picture Show
5.  The General

5 Films that I do not find anywhere nearly as good as popular opinion does:
1.  Schindler's List
2.  The Searchers
3.  Tootsie
4.  Bringing Up Baby
5.  Blade Runner

5 Films that I'd watch annually, because of GREATNESS
1.  Nashville
2.  Citizen Kane
3.  Casablanca
4.  The Godfather
5.  Lawrence of Arabia

10 (can't do 5) Films that I'd watch annually, because of how they make me feel (sentiment):
"Jaws"  Duh.  
1.  Jaws
2.  Star Wars
3.  City Lights
4.  The General
5.  It's a Wonderful Life
6.  Modern Times
7.  The Gold Rush
8.  Dr. Strangelove...
9.  All About Eve
10.  Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

5 Films that I probably wouldn't mind never seeing again:
1.  Intolerance
"Bringing Up Baby"
2.  Bringing Up Baby
3.  Spartacus
4.  Ben-Hur
5.  American Graffiti

5 Films that did not win the Best Picture Oscar that should have (based on the competition from that year):
1.  Network
2.  Citizen Kane
3.  Raging Bull
4.  Apocalypse Now
5.  Do the Right Thing

10 More films I should watch annually:
1.  Raiders of the Lost Ark
2.  Annie Hall
"Annie Hall"
3.  The Philadelphia Story
4.  Psycho
5.  The Graduate
6.  The Maltese Falcon
7.  Duck Soup
8.  Sunset Blvd.
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
10.  The Silence of the Lambs

5 Films you may have seen, but you likely now dismiss, but should watch again because they are way better than you remember:
1.  King Kong
2.  The Sixth Sense
3.  Annie Hall
4.  Rocky
5.  Shane

"Ben-Hur"
5 Films I'd take off the list:
1.  Tootsie
2.  American Graffiti (this would be the last of the 5)
3.  Blade Runner
4.  Ben-Hur
5.  Spartacus

5 Films I'd put in the previous 5's place:
1.  Alien
2.  Malcolm X
3.  Amadeus (was on first list in 1997)
4.  All Quiet On the Western Front (ditto)
5.  Fargo (again dropped from the first list) - I'd also accept The Big Lebowski.

"City Lights"
10 Films you should watch with a romantic partner (obvious):
1.  Sunrise:  A Song of Two Humans
2.  Tootsie
3.  The Apartment
4.  Casablanca
5.  Swing Time
6.  The Sound of Music
7.  City Lights
8.  West Side Story
9.  Annie Hall
10.  Sullivan's Travels

5 Films you should watch with a romantic partner (not so obvious):
1.  Vertigo
2.  Cabaret
"The General"
3.  Modern Times
4.  The General
5.  The Graduate

15 Films you HAVE to watch with children at some time (all of which I have):
1.  Duck Soup
2.  E.T.
3.  Star Wars
4.  Raiders of the Lost Ark
5.  Snow White
6.  Toy Story
7.  City Lights
8.  The Gold Rush
9.  Modern Times
10.  The General
11.  The Wizard of Oz
12.  King Kong
13.  The Lord of the Rings:  The Fellowship of the Ring
14.  A Night at the Opera
15.  The Sound of Music

5 Films I absolutely cannot wait for my children to be old enough to see (because I don't think you HAVE to be an adult to understand them):  
1.  Jaws
"Psycho"
2.  Psycho
3.  Titanic
4.  The Sixth Sense
5.  To Kill a Mockingbird

Bonus Film I cannot wait for my children to be old enough to see:

1.  Dr. Strangelove...

The 10 Best Reviews I think I wrote:
1.  Psycho
2.  Raging Bull
3.  Nashville
4.  The Last Picture Show
5.  Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
6.  Citizen Kane
7.  The Wild Bunch
8.  Titanic
9.  It's a Wonderful Life
10.  Casablanca

"Nashville" - SPOILER!
One thing on that list I photographed above.  I charted the number of AFI Top 100 films that showed the physical use of a gun being fired (not a firearm, a gun - so "Lord of the Rings" doesn't count).  See all those "x" marks in the second and third column after the film's title?  Column 2 is guns, Column 3 is deaths.  The total was 65 films that showed the use of a gun.  Two thirds of the "great movies" in our time show a gun being fired.  71 films show an on-screen death.  What does this say?  It says that our stories need closure.  Death doesn't occur in real life at the rate it does in film, that's for sure, but this is story telling, remember?  Drama is best explained through death.

However.  That seems like a LOT.  When you have 3 Charlie Chaplin films, and all 3 contain a gunshot, and one contains an on-screen death, while one shows the gun fired..and the death...but not until after the shot...so it's not really an on-screen death...well.  It's a wonderful tool for storytelling.  I won't comment further.

I do want to talk at some point about the discrepancy between male actors and female actors on the list. I'm not sure how to do it, but only 4 women appeared in 3 films on the list, and two of those appeared in the only sequel to make the list, so they weren't new castings.  Men?  Let's just say that a LOT of men appear in 3 films on the list, and Al Pacino isn't even one of those.  Jack Lemmon is only in 2.

So.  That's it.  I'm happy to discuss further if you wish.  I recommend watching the list yourself, if you are into this kind of thing.  There are a lot of great films that don't get watched any more, and a lot that don't get watched enough.  Take some time and watch some of them.

Thanks again,
Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment