Thursday, March 3, 2016

And that's all...

...I have to say about that.

Best Picture time (again...) on the AFI Top 100 (10th Anniversary Edition).  Modern film this time.  Well.  Modern-ish.  If you are within like 2 years of 50, this film is as old as, say "Patton" was when you were in high school.  Perspective sucks.

Film 85

85.  "Forrest Gump" (AFI Rank #76)

I used the photo above when I wrote this one up last year (2014), when I first attempted this.  I am using it again, because of what it means to me, personally.

I saw this film, for the first time, in May of 1995, in my sister's apartment in Champaign, IL.  I had been told that this film (of all films) was one that I really, really needed to see.  So, rather than rent it, I bought the VHS, and took it with me to Champaign.  I watched it with Cindy, and as I was watching it, this scene, "Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks," spoke to me when I watched this film.  Not sure why, but it did.  As life went on, some things happened, and I wound up knowing someone with a very similar story to Jenny's.  I was always amazed at how much that original viewing of this film and this scene stuck with me.  Why is that?  Why does this scene work so well?  Because...well...it's because it's Forrest Gump witnessing it.  It's a man who understands what happened, and doesn't try to make any great connections as to why.  He just knows it was wrong, and that no matter what, he's just going to love Jenny.  Look at the space between them in this photo.  He's near, but he's not holding her.  He's giving her space, while letting her know he's not leaving.  In my experiences like this, I learned that this was the most important thing I could do with the person I knew when these memories or feelings overwhelmed them.  I'm making this a little personal.  I apologize.  This is one of the most personal scenes I've ever experienced in a film, for many reasons, the timing of which, and the reason for it, I've chosen not to elaborate upon at this time.  This scene got me again on this viewing.  The point is that I still have a great empathy for this moment in this film, and it brings me to a vivid memory from 21 years ago.  And I love it.  I do.

There.  I'm no critic.  I can't separate myself out of this sometimes. *deep breath*

As I said above, "Forrest Gump" won the Oscar for Best Picture for 1994,  It has become fashionable to bash it, because a couple of other truly remarkable films came out that year, "Pulp Fiction," and "The Shawshank Redemption."  So did "The Lion King," but an animated film will have an uphill battle to win Best Picture, even if Disney makes its animal version of "Hamlet" available to kids.  If you are one of those that pines for the other two over this one...fine...but I ask you to watch this film again.  It's an extraordinary piece of cinema, and I think the right film won the Oscar.  Directed by Robert Zemeckis, this film, while gooey and sentimental, is nothing short of a technical marvel.  It's ambitious as hell, it takes risks that could have failed spectacularly, and it succeeds every damned time.  Yeah, some of the old footage that is used with our live actors doesn't work well, at all.  The JFK, LBJ, and John Lennon moments seem a little cheesy - when they talk.  The one with Governor George Wallace at the gates of Alabama University, however, is phenomenal.  As are the moments BEFORE the other characters mentioned speak.  The care that the production team used in inserting Tom Hanks into old film clips is still amazing, even today.  I'm picking on things that are pretty specific to you having seen the film.

Greatness drips from this film, as do myriad errors.  You have to forgive a lot in this.  The timeline is really impossible, especially his time in the army.  Bubba died in 1967, and Forrest was still in the army in 1974.  I know that Forrest liked the army, but damn.  That's a long time.  I digress.  If you can get past the impossibilities, and abandon to the story, this really is a remarkable story, acted with amazing honesty, and incredible special effects.  Wait.  Tell me again how great that watch-up-the-ass scene is in "Pulp Fiction?"  Bah.  Even "...Shawshank..." doesn't possess the performances on display here, nor does it innovate the way that this one does.  I'm making a case.  I'm asking you to watch this film like a critic.

Let's talk acting.  It would be simple to look at the performances in this and relegate them to fantasy.  That would be a huge mistake.  Every performance in this film is honest, risky, and never treats the audience in a cloying manner.  Sally Field is delightful as Forrest's mother.  Her deep understanding of Forrest's shortcomings, combined with her determination to make sure that he is not treated in a manner that is different from other people shines through in every frame.  Mykelti Williamson is tremendous as Bubba, Forrest's best friend in the Army, and nails his role, also.  Bubba and Forrest are natural partners from the moment they meet.  In fact, now that I think about it, Forrest has trouble making friends, that's for sure.  However, look at what happens with the ones he does make.  Bubba is like Forrest's male soulmate.

Lt. Dan becomes his partner in business, and his spiritual soulmate.  Gary Sinise began a partnership with Tom Hanks in this film, and his Lt. Dan is riveting.  Next time you watch this film, I want you to pay attention to one moment.  It's the kind of moment that usually causes me to gasp when I see it, as the acting is...it's from someplace other-worldly.  Watch the moment when Lt. Dan finally meets Jenny.  Watch the moment that happens right after that, and the look that passes between Hanks and Sinise.  We know that Jenny is very sick at this time.  We assume that Lt. Dan knows that.  We also know that Lt. Dan knows how great a part of Forrest's life Jenny is.  Anyway, the moment I'm describing happens as Lt. Dan watches Jenny walk away, then looks at Forrest, his look is one of both pride and deep sadness all at once.  Forrest returns this glance with a choked back pride.  Forrest is no idiot, in certain things, and one of those is human emotion.  He knows what love is, and he knows that he is about to be hurt, but he doesn't care.  This is the happiest moment in his life.  He's marrying his Jenny.  He's introducing her to the man he cares about the most.  And he knows that all of this comes tinged with looming illness.

Robin Wright Penn as Jenny, Forrest's actual soulmate, is the glue that holds the film together.  Her story, told in snippets alongside Forrest's, is incredibly compelling, if disastrous.  Penn always feels honest in it all.  She doesn't have any anchor in life, except Forrest, but she can't see him for what he is.  I mentioned the scene with the rocks.  It's an amazing scene, truly, and Penn takes risks, shows vulnerability and toughness all at once.  Jenny's life is a tragedy, from start to beginning.  However, we see her at peace with Forrest, always.  She needs him.  Bah.  It's a great role, and Penn does it proud.

Of course, the Oscar winner for Best Actor for his performance in this film is Tom Hanks.  I talked about the moment with Lt. Dan.  There's two other moments I want to talk about.  The first happens when Forrest asks Jenny to marry him.  "I'd make a good husband, Jenny,"  She responds, "You would, Forrest."  He then says, CRUSHINGLY, "But you won't marry me."  He says a few other things, she says a few other things, and he concludes with "I may not be a smart man, but I know what love is."  It's heartbreaking.  It's achingly honest.  It's...well...goddammit, it's just great acting. GREAT.  The other moment is when Forrest has been introduced to his son for the first time.  His astonishment, his overwhelming emotion...but mostly...for me...the moment when he asks, "Is he smart...or is he..." while gesturing his own way...that's...well.  Yes, it's writing, somewhat.  Mostly what it is, however, is an actor making choices and following through with them in a fashion that makes us connect.  Hanks, or Zemeckis, or whomever, decided that Forrest was going to be a stupid man, but that he was never, not once, going to be stupid about emotion. the human heart, or his own shortcomings.

And that, friends, is why I view this film so favorably.  Let's talk small moments.  Let's talk details that are right.  Notice that Forrest never has a picture taken where he doesn't have his eyes closed?  Notice that when the guy teaching him to play ping pong tells him to keep his eye on the ball, that we NEVER see Forrest blink in a ping pong scene?  Notice that the guys in Forrest's platoon in Vietnam all look like characters from other films about Vietnam?    Even beyond that, ever notice how real the battle sequence feels?  By the way, this was, AT LONG LAST, the last moments I will spend with the Vietnam war while watching these films.  HUZZAH.  A lot of really brutal shit is filmed about that war, and I've cleared it.  Notice that every time Forrest talks about death, he says, "And that's all I have to say about that?"  Notice that Forrest actually seems to understand that death is a part of life?  Why?  Because that's what Mamma taught him.

I could ramble on all day.  The soundtrack is incredible.  The visual during the running sequence is incredible.  The acting is incredible.  The story is so inviting, so welcoming.  The writing is crazy good.  It's a great, great film, folks.  I'll let you ramble about other films from this year.  I'll take my argument against you, and I'll tell you why this film was better than any of them.  And I LOVE those other two films.  This one, however, feels like a masterpiece.  Again, I can go on and on.  I won't.

Watch this movie again.  Like "Titanic," I'm betting you've seen this film.  I'm asking you to watch it again.  Maybe we can chat about it afterward.  I'd love to.

It is funny.  I was told that I'd love this film.  It took a long time, but I'm there.  I love this film.  I love its greatness.  I love its sentimentality.  I love its craft.  I think you could, too.

Ebert didn't do this in his "Great Movies" series, but he loved it in his first review.  Read that here.

Guess what?  That makes me down to 15 films.  I've only got 5 left to review (I'm 3 behind after this one, so I've only got 2 left to watch) that I've never seen before.  Then comes 10 films for the ending that I've picked because of my deep love of them.  They are not all in my personal top 10 from this list, but it's a representative cross-section of films I love.  Just LOVE.  I'm almost there.  Thank you, so VERY much for being part of this.    

No comments:

Post a Comment