Thursday, January 7, 2016

Song and dance time...

...and rabid patriotism.

A star turn this time on the list of AFI Top 100 (10th Anniversary Edition).

Film 74
























74.  "Yankee Doodle Dandy" (AFI Rank #98)

There are a few films that appear on the list because of the sheer magnitude of the stars in the picture.  I'd submit that both Marx Brothers' entries, and "Swing Time," with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers (although this film has a technical marvel of a scene), are the principal examples of that dynamic.  While they are great pieces of entertainment, I wouldn't call any of those 3 "GREAT FILMS."  I would also lose the argument I'd make to include the films "Sophie's Choice," "Tootsie," "Bringing Up Baby," and "The African Queen" in that list.  Then, along came "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and we have one that one can't argue about.

This is not a GREAT FILM.  It is, however, a magnificent performance by its leading man, a movie star of the utmost magnitude.  Because of that performance, this film is important, even great, and worthy of discussion.  I'm not going to get into deep themes, I'm probably not going to discuss attention to detail, or a whole lot else.  I'm going to get into what is great in this film, and that starts with James Cagney.

Ostensibly telling the story of George M. Cohan's rise to power as THE American entertainer of the early 20th century, (Charles Chaplin was a global star) this film is most comfortable in fantasy.  Yes, there was a George M. Cohan, and yes, he became a very, very powerful man.  Yes, he performed with his family under the billing "The Four Cohans."   Yes, he wrote some amazing music that endures to this day, 100 years later.  Yes, he was a skilled performer.  Beyond that, most of this is fiction, or highly embellished reality.  It's got some wonderfully sentimental family moments in it, and some nice bits showing the passage of time.  Other than that, not much.  So, we can chuck the story, mostly.  Fine.

Michael Curtiz directed this film.  You may recognize his name from a different film that he directed, the year after this one.  It was called "Casablanca."  Ever hear of it?  This film is not the visual treat that the other one is, but it has moments, and Curtiz has some particularly good sequences in this film.  A slow pan across "Broadway," and the signs on the various theatres, which shows passage of time and George M.'s influence is especially pleasing.  The deathbed scene with George and his father, Jerry, (played by Walter Huston, the father of John Huston, and grandfather of Anjelica) is poignant.  The visual imagery of the staircase in the White House, particularly when Cagney ad-libbed tap dancing down them is fantastic.  Beyond that, it's a film.  It got directed.


Performances by ancillary characters are honest, if the characters they play tend to be buffoonish at times.  Of particular note are the performances of Walter Huston as George's father, Rosemary DeCamp as George's mother, and Jeanne Cagney, James' real-life sister portraying George's sister, Josie.  All the Cohans fill the bill so well, that we feel genuine affection between them.  Also worthy of praise is Joan Leslie, all of 17 years old, who portrays Cohan's wife, Mary.  It is hard to imagine someone so young carrying so much of the film, but Leslie does it, and does it well.

Ultimately, though, it's James Cagney that we want to see.  Earning a Best Actor Oscar for his work in this film, I wouldn't call any of the scenes that Cagney participates in (with the possible exception of the deathbed scene I mentioned above) as great scenes for an actor.  No, what this film presents is a showcase for us to marvel at this amazing entertainer.  Known primarily as a "bad boy" actor, Cagney's performance in this film is breathtaking.  Participating in multiple elaborate staged numbers, Cagney hoofs his way through the songs with the energy of a man two decades his junior.  Adapting his dance style to a more stiff-legged style in order to better emulate the real George M. Cohan, I defy you to watch this without shaking your head at least once in amazement.  It's a unrelenting performance, one that Premiere magazine called the 6th best ever captured on film.  I've seen the other 9 in the top 10.  I'd say that list is pretty goddamned good, although I'd take Brando's Vito Corleone over his Terry Malloy.

So, that's my take on this film.  I think you should watch it.  I think it's a magnificent document, capturing a performer at his best, and maybe performance at its best.  It also has a great, great line in it:  "My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you, and I thank you."

This is the last musical on the list.  I've only got one more to write up, then I'm caught up, and I'm on to the last 25 films, only 5 of which I haven't seen before.  The other 20 (especially the last 10) are all very familiar to me, so we'll see how this goes.  This film, I hadn't seen before.  I'm glad I have.  I encourage you to do the same.

So, this is short and sweet, like its star.  I needed one like this.

Ebert wrote about this one in his "Great Movies" series.  Here it is.  Hmmmmph.  Imagine that. Ebert and I agree again.

No comments:

Post a Comment