Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Forget it...

...I have to write a little more.

Quest to watch AFI Top 100 (10th Anniversary Edition).

Wrote a bunch about this, so this will be brief.  I had a great time watching this film.

Film 55

55. "Chinatown" (AFI Rank #21)

I'm going to get this out of the way.  I'm an arrogant fuck.  I am not afraid to let you know that I'm right on things, and - way more often than not - I am. As such, I tend to rely on my judgment, which, when I'm wrong, rubs people the wrong way.  However, as unafraid as I am to admit that I'm right, I'm equally unafraid to admit when I'm wrong.

I was wrong about this film when I watched it last year.  Dead wrong.  This is a shockingly well put-together piece of cinema, and my conclusions from one viewing were ill-informed.  I'd simply not been taken on the ride, because I had no idea what was coming next, and it all seemed ridiculous.  When I rehearse a play, I try to remember that just because I know what's going to happen next doesn't mean the audience does.  I forgot that last year when I watched this.  This film is like an amazingly well-rehearsed play.  It all makes sense.  Things are telegraphed.  Foreshadowing happens.  Details are there, and not skimped upon.  I may not, on first viewing, understand why Faye Dunaway makes the brilliant acting choice to stutter the word "father" whenever she says it, but on second viewing, I'm compelled.  I'm entranced.

This is one of those films you need to watch again.  It leaves one wanting more.  After the last line reviled me so much last year, I was ready to never watch this ever again.  I'd have been a poorer film enthusiast had I done so.

As you may know, I watched this on Netflix, and had a couple of friends commenting along with me as we watched in unison.  Those comments have been posted on this Blog.  A couple of things came up, though, and I want to briefly discuss them.  Anything else you want to know about what I thought about this film while watching it can be read here and here.

1.  Jack Nicholson was not "Jack Nicholson" yet.  As was discussed, he was an actor playing a role.  Look at that face at the photo on the top.  That is an expression of pure...blankness...and it's brilliant.  That photo is taken from the moment immediately following Evelyn Mulwray's death.  Nicholson's Jake Gittes, who had been previously burned trying too hard to protect a woman while in Chinatown, has it happen again.  His face, indeed everything...goes numb.  We feel along with him, because Jack was a brilliant actor, a year away from the performance of a lifetime in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest."  This was an actor at the top of his game.  "Chinatown" is a magnificent performance.  Jake is a refined character, trusting everyone, when he probably shouldn't.  He gets taken in by Evelyn...and tries to help...and it ends in tragedy.  Because he just can't help himself.  He genuinely feels.  It's a great character, and a great performance.

2.  Film noir is likely dead.  "LA Confidential" was the last great one, and that was 18 years ago.  Even that wasn't classic noir, as it did not follow one character throughout, like this, or "The Maltese Falcon," or "Sunset Blvd."  This genre requires us to be witness to everything that happens to the main character, because he is usually piecing things together that have nothing to do with what he's actually dealing with.  "Chinatown" shows us all we need to know, while never letting Jake Gittes off screen.  It's taut scriptwriting, and a hell of a way to construct a film.  This film nails it.

3.  Cinematography is beautiful.  Just beautiful.  Costumes are tremendous.  Details are spectacular.  This is a great movie.

4.  Using John Huston, who directed "The Maltese Falcon," as the chief bad guy in this was brilliant.  Just fucking brilliant.  Not only does he act his role incredibly well, but the hat-tip to a bygone era is a masterstroke.  This film doesn't exist without John Huston.  For his influence...and for his inclusion.  Masterstroke.  No other word.

Last thing.

OK.  I yield.  The last line isn't horrible.  I'm not yet prepared to say it's a great line, but it's not absolutely horrible, and didn't ruin the film for me this time.

There.  I'm through another bloc.  On to 5 films I've not seen before.  Thanks for reading.

I promised this would be brief.  I wrote lots while watching the film.

As always, here's a link to Ebert's "Great Movies" series on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment