Monday, December 12, 2011

Sunday morning....

...I was up way too late/early.  We finished the steakhouse tour on Saturday night, and afterward I put a pork shoulder in the smoker.  I slept for about 4 hours in 2 hour spurts, awakening in front of the still on television several times. 

The movie channels were on, which meant I got wrapped up in movies.  Which prevented me from sleeping.

Some observations:

"Breaking Away" is one of my favorite films of all time.  Has been since I was in high school.  It got better watching it the other night.  Know why?  I'm a father now.  No wonder my dad liked that one so much as well. 

The Spielberg sweeping close up at the end of "Field of Dreams" when Ray Kinsella realizes the guy in the catcher's equipment in his dad has a moment that would not exist today.  There is a beautiful cloudy blue sky behind Costner, and the shot is established as Ray and his family.  It then jump zooms into Costner's face, with him on screen left.  It's a gorgeous shot.  And Amy Madigan's hair blows into it at one moment.  It would be digitally removed today, methinks.  Know why I know that?  The next shot is the same perspective...but guarantee Madigan was off set.  As a bad photographer who is constantly annoyed by things that creep into a frame...guarantee the cinematogropher wishes he had that one back. 

The "Star Trek" reboot is much better on second viewing.  And James Kirk gets his ass kicked CONSTANTLY in that film.  And always fights with his mouth open.  The light in the camera thing is WAY too annoying in that one to ever recommend it, though. 

So those are my observations.  This blog is going back to more random shots more frequently posted now that I have gotten through the steakhouse thing.  At least, after I write the last review.  Gene and Georgetti.  Good food.  Am I giving it away? 

No comments:

Post a Comment